I. Construction Requirements:
A. Length, Width and Clearance
1. Maximum overall width, including wheels and axles, shall not exceed 2¾”.
2. So car will clear the center guide strip on the track, minimum width between wheels shall be 1¾”.
3. So car will clear the center guide strip, minimum distance between bottom of car, including any protrusions, and track shall be 3/8”
4. Maximum overall length, including all accessories, may not exceed 7”.
5. Maximum overall height may not exceed 5".
6. You are not required to use the “stock” axle slots. The wheelbase (distance between front and rear axles) may be changed so long as the car complies with all other dimension requirements.
7. The nose of the car must be parallel with the front axle and at least 1/2" wide at the center (i.e., no pointed noses) to enable proper starting and timing.
B. Materials, Weight and Appearance.
1. Use only B.S.A Ofﬁcial Pinewood Derby Kit only. Use of the B.S.A. Official “Pre-Cut Pinewood Derby Wedge Kit” is permissible as well. No kits or premade cars from any other source are permitted.
2. Weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The reading of the Ofﬁcial Race Scale will be considered ﬁnal.
3. The car may be built up to the maximum weight by the addition of weights or other material provided this material securely is built into the body or ﬁrmly afﬁxed to it. No loose materials or liquids of any kind are permitted in or on the car. Mercury shall not be used. It is a health hazard.
4. Details such as steering wheels, driver, spoiler, decals, painting, interiors and exterior details are permissible as long as the car satisﬁes length, width, clearance and weight speciﬁcations.
5. Cars with wet paint or glue will not be accepted.
C. Wheels and Axles.
1. Only official wheels and axles from the B.S.A Ofﬁcial Pinewood Derby kit or purchased from the BSA Scout Shop are permitted. Colored wheels are allowed as long as they are official BSA wheels. BSA stamps must be visible on wheels. Use of wheels and axles that have been modified by third parties is not permitted.
2. Cars must have 4 wheels, all of which are perpendicular with the track and with a minimum of 3 wheels touching the track at all times.
3. Wheels must be free-spinning. Bearings, spacers or bushings are prohibited. The car shall not ride on any types of springs. No assisted starting or other propulsion is permitted.
4. The only permissible alterations to the wheel tread surface and width are as follows:
a. The outer tread surface of the wheel may be shaved to a ﬂat surface that is parallel to the axle.
b. Light sanding and/or polishing of any portion of the wheel to remove burs is permitted so long as it does not reduce the diameter below allowable levels. No material may be removed from the underside of the running surface.
c. The wheel diameter may not be less than 1.17“ or greater than 1.20”.
d. Wheel width may be altered only from the side facing the car. The overall wheel width may not be less than .360". NOTE: because there is a “bulge” in the wheel, the overall wheel width is slightly larger than the width of the tread surface. The .360” measurement is for the wheel at its widest point, exclusive of the hub.
5. Underside of axle head may be ground or ﬁled to remove burs. Axle shaft diameter must be uniform may not be less than .085". Simple polishing of the axles should not reduce the diameter below allowable level. No machined or lathe turned axels are permitted.
6. No wheel covers (i.e. hubcaps) are permitted.
1. No liquid lubricants are allowed. The only permissible lubricants are powdered graphite or Teflon.
II. Inspection and disputes
A. Only newly constructed cars may be raced. Cars from previous years may not race for prizes or trophies or be eligible for design awards.
B. Each car must pass inspection by the Race Committee before it can compete. The Race Committee has the right to disqualify those cars which do not meet these rules. Car owners will be informed of the violations and may, at the discretion of the Race Committee, be given an opportunity to modify the car to meet these rules. If the car cannot be modiﬁed to meet the rules, at the discretion of the Race Committee, the car may be allowed to run for time only, but in such case no prizes or recognition will be awarded. Scouts may be given the option to race in the Modified Division if the car cannot conform to ofﬁcial rules.
C. Once a car has been inspected it may not be altered in any fashion. Any car taken for repair must be re-inspected prior to allowing it to continue to race. No lubricant may be applied after final inspection.
D. Any participant or their parent has the right of appeal to the Race Committee for an interpretation of these rules. The Race Committee, by majority vote, will be the ﬁnal judge of these rules.
E. Any protest of a car’s compliance with the rules must be ﬁled with the Race Chairperson prior to competition.
F. These rules are to be used in conjunction with the “Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby Kit” instructions, found inside your son's pinewood derby kit. In the event of a conflict, these Pack Rules shall govern.
III. Race Format
A. The track has four lanes. Each car will run four times, once in each lane. Trophies will be awarded based on the cumulative total of each car’s fastest three times – in other words, the slowest single time of the four runs for each car will be excluded.
B. If a car runs out of its lane, loses a wheel or interferes with another car, the race will be re-run. If that same car has similar problems during the re-run, that car’s time for that run is disqualified. The remaining cars will then be re-run without troubled car. At the discretion of the Race Committee, the troubled car may have minor repairs performed during the race. Any car unable to post times for three of its four runs shall not be eligible for prizes.
C. Good sportsmanship is a core value of Scouting. Participants that do not adhere to this principle may be asked to leave.
Tiger: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place Trophies
Wolf: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place Trophies
Bear: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trophies
Webelos I: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trophies
Webelos II: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Trophies